Enrol with Waimate Medical Centre

We are not currently taking on any new patients, however we are keeping a waiting list should space become available.  Please get in touch if you would like to be added to this waiting list.

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with us.

​Why enrol?

Enrolment, or registration, with a Waimate Medical Centre is free and means you can have cheaper doctors' visits and prescriptions. This is because the Ministry of Health provides funds for eligible patients who enrol with a medical centre.

It is a good idea to enrol with Waimate Medical Centre before you need to see a doctor or nurse. 

Who can enrol?

Anyone who is living in New Zealand can enrol with Waimate Medical Centre, as long as they meet the following criteria, which are decided on by The Ministry of Health:

  • Is a New Zealand citizen  OR
  • Holds a resident visa or a permanent resident visa (or a residence permit if issued before December 2010)  OR
  • Is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident AND has been in New Zealand or intends to stay in New Zealand for at least 2 consecutive years  OR
  • Has a work visa/permit and is able to show that he/she is able to be in New Zealand for at least 2 years (previous permits included)  OR
  • Is an interim visa holder who was eligible immediately before their interim visa started  OR
  • Is a refugee or protected person OR is in the process of applying for, or appealing refugee or protection status,  OR is a victim or suspected victim of people trafficking OR
  • Is under 18 years and in the care and control of a parent/legal guardian/adopting parent who meets one criterion in clauses a–f above  OR
  • 18 or 19 years and can demonstrate that, on the 15 April 2011, I was the dependant of an eligible work permit holder  OR
  • Is a NZ Aid Programme student studying in New Zealand and receiving Official Development Assistance funding (or their partner or child under 18 years old)  OR
  • Is participating in the Ministry of Education Foreign Language Teaching Assistantship scheme  OR
  • Is a Commonwealth Scholarship holder studying in New Zealand and receiving funding from a New Zealand university under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Fund.

You can also enrol children in your care who are 16 years of age or younger. Once young people in your care are 17 years, they need to enrol themselves, unless you are their authorised representative or have Power of Attorney.

What happens to the information I give on my enrolment form?

When you enrol you are asked to provide information such as age, sex, ethnicity. This information is protected by the medical ethics of confidentiality, the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994.

The information you give will be held by Waimate Medical Centre, used by the Ministry of Health to update any changes, sent to the PHO and Ministry of Health to get subsidised funding on your behalf, and used to determine eligibility to funded services. At the medical centre, members of the health team may add to your health record during any services provided to you and use that information to provide appropriate care. They may also send relevant health information to other health professionals who are involved in your care.


This product has been added to your cart